Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Viva Las Vegas

So this is my first blog...I'm not sure if I like it or not yet, I'll let you know. There probably won't be anyone to read this, but I guess I'll have it for myself...
Well, I am in Las Vegas Nevada right now. I never thought that I would be called to do summer missions, but here I am. I am so grateful for this opportunity God has given me. I got here Thursday, May 28th. So far there are 3 other girls with me and a guy. We're getting another guy in Sunday. It's been a lot of fun so far.
We went to Vietnamese church Sunday and ate lunch with them. We wore headphones and had a man translate the sermon for us. It was hard to watch the preacher preach and try to understand the translation. But seeing the Vietnamese people worship and being able to worship with them was great. They were so kind and so welcoming. It was definitely an expierence.
Monday was the start of the new refugee ministry. This is going to be a big thing here. And I am so blessed to have been here for the very beginning of it. Mr. Tom and Mrs. Cynthia (they work with the Nevada Baptist Association and we girls are staying at their house) along with some others, worked with the refugee adults. They teach them simple things, like how to use a stove or what to put in ziplock bags. Common knowlege for us, but things that they have never had to do or get used to. We, on the other hand, get to entertain their kids. Now, I have entertained a lot of kids in my day, but I've got to say, this has been the most fun I've had entertaining them, like ever. We can hardly pronounce their names, the youngest kids can't speak English, the older ones don't understand some of the things we say either. But the older kids help the younger ones when we ask them something. They get so excited with stickers and crayons and balloons it's not even funny! We go to two different apartment complexes and do the same thing with different people. By the time we finished with the first group, they were calling me "sister". I thought that was the most precious thing ever. Then when I thought about it, how true is that? We are all brothers and sisters in Christ no matter how different we are. It was amazing to say the least. We'll be doing this all week with the different kids. Next week we'll be with them again, but doing a VBS. I'm excited for that too.
So as you can see, Vegas is great. I love my team. They are all so special. We got to see some of the sights our first night. We're going souvenir shopping Saturday. Yay!
If you will please continue to pray for us this summer. It's hot and the days are so full and long we are exhausted by the time we get home. And even though these games we play with the kids are boring to us, they get such joy out of it. And that's all that matters. Pray for the refugees too. I never knew what all they had to go through to get here and then what all they have to continue to go through to stay here. It's heartbreaking.
So for my first post, this was a pretty long one. I hope to try to keep up with this throughout the summer.
Thanks for reading! I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Claire I am so glad that you got a blog. I just got off of the phone with you and I hope that you have a GREAT summer! Love you Miss you~

    ReplyDelete