Thursday, August 16, 2012

I've got a golden ticket(s)

At Puckett, we take part of PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports). All the teachers have tickets to give to students exhibiting good behavior. The students can then take their tickets and cash them in for something at the Ticket Store or save them up to receive a special prize. I.E. lunch from the only restaurant in town, sit with your friends at lunch, extra recess, things of that nature. 
Now, all the teachers also have the coveted Golden Tickets. These tickets are given to a class as a whole. A teacher can only give golden tickets to another class. So far, I have 2 in my room from our principal! The librarian and the counselor are also giving us one, too. The third graders are on fire! We are the example for PBIS. 
It's amazing that I'm not having to "threaten" like I used to. I only need to warn, take a recess or two, and that's it. It's like a different breed of kids here. They are respectful, they mind, I hear "please" and "thank you". When we go to recess, I have several kids in my class that immediately go to pick up garbage. No one told them to, they just went. It's plumb amazing. 
Have you heard of the book, Jesus Calling by SarahYoung? It's a fantastic little devotional book that reads as though Jesus is talking to you. I love it! I found a children's version of that devotional and was so excited. So in the mornings, after the pledge and announcements, I sit at my desk and read the passage out loud. I don't make them listen to me or call it a lesson. It's just me reading out loud at my desk. I love doing that and even though I could technically get in trouble for it, I really don't care. All they can do is tell me to stop. In which case, I will, and tag it to the leader of the day's job! ;) I'm hoping that I can do more than just read it to them at some point. 

1 comment: