Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Engagements

The love bug has struck which only means one thing: engagements. Wedding season is quickly approaching and I have quite a few to attend this year. So, I decided to share them!

First up is my big brother, Ben, and his fiance, Emily. 

Ben and Emily met this summer through mutual friends. She is so sweet and of course, I'm slightly partial to my brother. It didn't take Emily long to get right in with the Mattox crew. Their wedding is set for May 11th in Aberdeen. I, along with my other sister, Sarah, will be bridesmaids. I may actually tear up at this ceremony. I mean, it's my big brother! So happy he's found someone to love and that loves him in return. 


Next is Nicholas Young and Hannah Harrell. 
These two cuties have known each other for a long time. They dated in high school, but eventually went their separate ways for college, did their own thing, but finally came back together again. It's crazy how things work like that, huh? 
I met Nicholas when he was a goofy, curly headed freshman at ICC in 2008. I would have never guessed that 5 years later, we would still be such close friends. We have been through so much together. He is truly one of my favorites. 
I met Hannah at MSU. She, along with some others, were my "Pontotoc Girls". Original, I know. She always has a smile on her face and willing to serve in any way possible. I am so excited to witness this marriage June 1st. 


Next up is Will Simmons and Ashley Farris. 
When you go to ICC, you meet people from all over...even people who don't attend your school! That's how it happened for these two. Ashley was at ICC and Will was at MSU. Mutual friends/twin sister mixed with large get togethers helped them meet. Of course, Ashley transferred to MSU later and the friendship kept growing. After a few years of friendship, and some time apart, they reunited at, go figure, a mutual friend's get together (or wedding, whatever you prefer! :)). The rest is history. 
Will and I met, gosh, in the sixth grade. We thought we were the coolest cats on the block! (Well, we really were.) We went through that awkward stage of having to call each other's houses and ask for each other to talk. You know, back in the day we never even thought about owning a cell phone. We stayed in touch for a while, but really got reconnected through Amy, the best. Will and I did MSU together, and many, many, many, many other things. Even though he's not into labels, he might just be my best guy friend. 
Ashley and I met through the infamous ICC BSU. I never would have thought that country girl from Mooreville would be so dear to my heart. She taught me how to really open up and talk. We have had girl talk like you wouldn't believe! We lived together and carried on the Apartment 12 name in Starkville. I am honored to be an honorary bridesmaid on this honorable day of June 8th. (See what I did there?)


 Then we have Jonathan Brodeur and Mabry Nelson.
Jon and Mabry have the classic love story....well, maybe not. They have the modern love story. Online. I am proud of them! I bet it took a lot of bravery to do that. Since meeting, they have been pretty much inseparable. It didn't take them long to realize that this was it. So that old saying of "When you know, you know" is true with them. Love can come at you anywhere. 
Now, Jon I don't know to well. Even though he's a Yankee, I guess he'll do. Tehehe. He makes my Mabry happy, so I like him. 
Mabry and I met in an education class at MSU. Some days we are so opposite I wonder how we can stand each other. She keeps me grounded. Reminds me to be joyful in everything. Gives me advice when I need, and sometimes when I don't want it. We have been through about everything you can go through with a friend. I could go on for a while about how great she is, but if you know her, you already know. I am tickled pink to be able to stand by Mabry's side as one of her bridesmaids on August 3rd. 


 Next will be Chris Hutchinson and Carlye Carpenter.
Chris and Carlye met at ICC. First, they only saw each other as friends. Both were doing their own thing in Fulton. As time went on, they started seeing each other in a new light. Low and behold if they didn't start dating at ICC and stay strong together ever since. 
I, of course, met these two at ICC as well. Carlye and I got close pretty quick. I'd come back to my dorm room and there she'd be sitting in my floor with books and papers strewn out everywhere. She liked to let herself in to study. I never minded. We really clicked at MSU. We lived together at Apartment 12 one year. When I think of our friendship one word comes to mind: crazy. Anytime we're together something crazy is about to be said or done. Mission trip to Chicago, sledding on a dumpster lid, dressing up as Bully, throwing the Koosh ball. 
Living with Carlye meant Chris was over quite a bit. He's a good one to have around. He's tall enough to change the light bulbs for us! Haha! We have an ongoing argument of how he thinks teaching is the easiest career. It always ends in laughter and, of course, me proving my point. :) So excited to see them finally tie the knot on August 23rd. 


 Finally, we have Zack Pugh and Joelle Forbes. 
So, I don't really know Zack and Joelle's story. Joelle and I served together in the Philippines. We are two totally different ladies. I didn't know if I'd ever hear her say more than 5 words that summer. Little did I know what God was up to. We were able to share our raw, uncut, uncensored testimonies with each other. We have SO much in common. She and I had overnight duty in the nursery at the orphanage. Let me tell you, there's no bonding like sleeping on a thin foam in a floor in a foreign country with cockroaches everywhere. When I fell that summer with my seizure, she was the one in there with me and immediately got me help. 
This couple is so precious and, my favorite part, are truly on fire for our God. I can't wait to see what He is going to do in and through them as a married couple. 


As you can tell, I am going to be pretty busy with weddings this spring/summer. Not to mention all the time I'll be spending with my niece Henley Claire Powell. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Girl! Everyone we know is getting married! You are going to be one busy lady! This is a precious post!

    ReplyDelete