Friday, June 18, 2010

He must become greater, I must become less.

Saturday I got to help with Mayor Clayton's birthday party. I got to cut and serve the cake. There was a big section of games like life-size checkers, Jenga, and Dominoes. There was a face painting table, the cake, and dippin dots ice cream. Everyone hid outside when we got word that Mayor was coming up, then we all jumped out and yelled surprise! Anyone who has a birthday in this month got to go up on stage, tell everyone their name and age, and we sung Happy Birthday to them. Then we had a big dance party in the avenue. It was lots of fun!

Sunday I was at FBC Kissimmee for 3 services helping with the children. For the first 2 services I was with the babies. This morning was my first encounter with a fussy baby boy who drank a little bit of his bottle, then decided to spew it all back up later all over me. Yum... :( Then I went to a 1-3rd grade classroom for the 3rd service. Then I got back to camp and took a looooong nap!

Monday was our day off, so some of us went to a nearby neighboorhood and played tennis (not for long though, it was SO hot!) then went swimming. That night the whole team went out to eat then some of us went to the outlet mall.

Tuesday was Kids Club. My partner, Allie had to work so I was by myself. A youth group was here from West Virgina so I had 2 youth helping me that day. However, I didn't need them because we didn't have any kids that day! It was sad. I got some sun though! :)
Tuesday night is our worship time. Mr. Brian (our supervisor's husband) led us in our devotional that night. It was really good. Then he got up walked outside and said we were going to be doing something different tonight. He came back in with 2 coolers of bottled water, 5 buckets, and a pile of wash cloths. We talked about Jesus washing the disciples feet. Mr. Brian told us that while we are here serving Christ and others, we are also here to serve each other, our teammates. So he let us do whatever we fell led to do. I washed feet and had my feet washed. This experience was absolutely amazing. Even though I truly dislike feet, I would have much rather washed than to be washed. It's such a humbling experience. I enjoyed it thouroughly.

Wednesday Cyle and I tagged along with the CA Team to a senior citizens home for a performance. I was a fill in puppetteer. It went well the first time, then they called me back to do another one...Let me back up and tell you about the stage that they use. It's made out of pvc pipe and black cloth. There are 2 levels so that people can be sitting in front and do puppets and also people can be standing in the back to do puppets without being seen. I was in the front being the paws of a lion puppet. We were almost through with the song when *WHAM*! The pipes holding up the curtain infront of us came apart and fell to the ground. I felt like a deer in headlights! Of course, I was mortified, but everyone else thought it was so funny, including the people on the CA Team. I think that was the beginning and end of my puppet career.
That night we all went to the Southern Baptist Convention. Never thought I'd say that. It wasn't too bad. We weren't there for long. Casting Crowns performed a few songs and we got to be right in front of the stage for that, so that was really cool. However, we did receive some bad news that night. On my team, there are 5 people from Tennessee. There is also a traveling team in Maine of 4 people all from Tennessee. We got word that the Maine team had been in a car accident that night. One member passed away and the rest were okay, but in the hospital. It was really hard on our TN people. This was also a wake up call for me. Life is so precious and the Lord can take us at any time. We need to treasure what we have right now. I remembered that night that when I was choosing my 3 places to serve this summer that Maine traveling team was one of my choices. I could have been there. Then I think about right now and that basically everyday I am driving a huge 12 passenger van, filled with my teammates, driving through crazy Orlando traffic. I am safe when I drive that thing, but it's the other drivers that scare me. Just the other day another large van cut me off, and if I hadn't had slammed on my brakes to let them in, it could have ended badly. Please, continue to pray for us and remember those from Tennessee who were in the wreck. I can only imagine the pain their family and friends are going through right now.

Love and miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Claire. I know God is using all your talents. I'm really glad that you are having a good time. Casting Crowns=ammaazzing :)
    glad you got to see them up close.
    miss you and love you.

    ps. us baptists aren't sooo bad after all, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, you would absolutely love it here at GKTW. Like, seriously if this place was in MS, you would live here.
    Casting Crowns was great. They didn't sing but a few songs though, but still marvelous.

    ps..meh, I tolerate y'all. ;)

    ReplyDelete