Friday, June 4, 2010

Love it here.

Okay, so Thursdays at GKTW is Christmas. At 2:00 in the afternoon, Cyle and I set out the garland and such for the parade. It was BAD hot. Then around 3:00, the people told us we could leave and beat the rain. So we hopped on our bikes and right about the time we got out of the gates of GKTW, a monsoon came pouring down. We were completely soaked head to toe by the time we got back to camp. Yeah, next time, we're just going to sit our happy tails at GKTW.

That night we went back for Christmas. I was a scribe for the photographer. As the families came into the theater to meet Santa, I wrote down which picture numbers were for the famililes. Oh my goodness, seeing these kids with Santa was amazing. My face hurt by the time I left because I was smiling so much. I absolutely loved it! Santa was great, too. He talked with the kids and played with them. It was just simply amazing.

Today, our shift started at 8:00 a.m. I was a scribe again for Barney this time! He was really fun, too. After that I just stayed in the castle until my shift was over. That place is so much fun. There is a pillow maker. And at orientation, each wish child gets a small silver star. They bring it to the castle and write their name on it with a special pen (Sharpie). Then, they put it in this big treasure chest and the Star Fairy shows up on the screen, dives down in to the chest and gets their star. You can see her flying to the other screens around, then she places the star specifically in the sky. Each day a Gift Fairy comes to each Villa. After the child does their star, the Gift Fairy brings them their Star Passport. They bring their passport to the castle, scan it, and it shows them exactly where the Star Fairy put their star in the castle. (Note: GKTW has helped over 92,000 children.) And sure enough, on the wall or ceiling, their star is there and it will be there forever. So if the family ever comes back, they can go and find their star.

This place is truly magical. I am so blessed I get to see God everyday in these children's faces.
Love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're having such a good time. It truly does sound like a wonderful place for the kids and their families.
    Love you much!
    Mama

    ReplyDelete